Other pages in this section
Ready to join SecuriCare?
For ongoing support, product advice & home delivery.
Colostomates don't need a rigid diet
If you've got a colostomy, there's no need for rigid dietary restrictions - a healthy varied diet with plenty of fluid intake is encouraged. Colostomates may, however, be prone to constipation.
- First check that you're not taking any medications that can cause constipation - including some painkillers, anti-depressants, as well as anti-diarrhoeal drugs
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water- at least 1.5 litres per day
- Eat regular meals and slowly increase the amount of fruit and vegetables in your diet especially rhubarb, prunes, apricots, figs, oranges. Make sure to chew food thoroughly (especially dried fruit)
- Eat more porridge oats, wholemeal bread, wholegrain cereals, beans and lentils
- Try food and drinks containing root ginger and liquorice
- Exercise regularly