Following a colostomy there is no need for rigid dietary restrictions, rather a healthy varied diet with plenty of fluid intake is encouraged. Colostomates may, however, suffer from constipation.
- First check that you are not taking any medications that can cause constipation including some painkillers, anti-depressants as well as anti-diarrhoeal drugs
- Drink plenty of fluids especially water- at least 1.5 litres/ day
- Eat regular meals and slowly increase the amount of fruit and vegetables in your diet especially rhubarb, prunes, apricots, figs, oranges, making sure to chew food, especially dried fruit, thoroughly
- Eat more porridge oats, wholemeal bread, wholegrain cereals, beans and lentils
- Try food and drinks containing root ginger and liquorice
- Exercise regularly